PE Coach is designed to be used during therapy for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) with a health professional who is trained in Prolonged Exposure (PE) therapy. The app will guide you through the exercises assigned by your therapist and allows you to track and record your progress. In addition, the app provides techniques such as controlled breathing that will help you tolerate and decrease your distress. PE Coach will help you remember and track your upcoming therapy sessions. You will be able to audio record your sessions directly onto your phone so you can review them later as part of your treatment.
By itself this app is not sufficient to treat PTSD. However, those who are receiving PE treatment can work together with their therapist to use the tools in this app.
PE Coach was created by VA’s National Center for PTSD and DoD’s National Center for Telehealth & Technology.
- Education about PE therapy and common reactions to trauma.
- Ability to record your PE therapy session as an audio file on your mobile device.
- Reminders to complete homework.
- Tools to keep track of tasks you did between sessions.
- Ability to track your PTSD symptoms over time.
- Guidance for breathing retraining - ways to change your breathing that help reduce your stress.