The CBT-i Coach App was designed for use by Veterans and others who are having difficulty sleeping and are using in conjunction with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-i) treatment guided by a healthcare professional. With CBT-i, patients are taught to recognize how their thoughts and sleep-related behaviors affect their sleep patterns. Patients are provided with education about how sleep works. They are also guided on how to adjust both their sleep routines and their approach to sleep in order to enhance sleep quality and duration.
- An interactive sleep diary for convenient daily logging of sleep habits
- Automatic calculation of the sleep prescription, with options for the therapist to adjust based on clinical judgment and patient progress
- An assessment of insomnia severity
- Comprehensive educational materials about sleep, healthy sleep habits, barriers to sleep, and CBT-i therapy
- Dynamic tools to improve sleep, including relaxation exercises
- Customizable reminders to alert the user when to prepare for bed, when to go to sleep, when to get out of bed, to record sleep habits, and to take sleep assessments
CBT-i has been shown to be an effective treatment for insomnia in a number of clinical trials, including when used with other medical and psychiatric conditions. This App is meant to be used in conjunction with face-to-face treatment for sleep difficulties with a health care professional. Some of the interventions can be used on its own with ease, but is not intended to replace therapy for those who need it.
CBT-i Coach is available for Apple mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch) and for Android phones and tablets.
Need to Know
- Treatment with pharmaceuticals is an option for people suffering from insomnia symptoms, but research suggests that CBT-I, a specific adaptation of cognitive behavioral therapy to insomnia, can also have a tremendous benefit.
- With CBT-i Coach, patients are taught to recognize how their thoughts and sleep-related behaviors affect their sleep patterns.
- CBT-i Coach is based on the therapy manual Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia in Veterans and has been shown to be an efficacious treatment for insomnia in a number of clinical trials.
- The App also provides dynamic tools to improve sleep, including relaxation exercises and sleep hygiene recommendations (e.g., using a checklist for setting up the sleeping area).
- Users are also guided on how to adjust both their sleep routines and their approach to sleep in order to enhance sleep quality and duration.