This content is no longer current.
Visit the new Developing VA Apps home page for updated processes and requirements for building your VA App
MyVeHU Session - VA Mobile App
Development for the Non-Techy
Discover more about VA Apps, and learn the fundamentals of VA’s mobile development process and strategy.
Login to MyVeHU campus »
How to Use This Portal
Although it is best to initially go through all sections in the order presented, you can randomly click on a section to go to it directly from this Introduction page. You can also use navigation links at the end of each section to move forward and backward between sections. The UP link will bring you directly back to this Introduction page.
There is a printer-friendly link at the bottom of each page that presents the contents of each section in printable format. NOTE: Clicking this icon on the Introduction page creates a printable version of the entire Development Portal contents.
Mobile Applications are a key component of the VA’s New Models Of Care (NMOC) initiative. Mobile applications are transforming our daily lives and empowering people by giving them greater access, control and utility over information. VA’s Mobile Health initiative is focused on bringing the power of mobile applications to bear to provide the finest services to our Veterans and their families. With this in mind, we have created a process that empowers users and developers while ensuring that applications that bear the VA brand meet the most stringent standards available.
The purpose of the Web site is to create a portal that facilitates the rapid development and deployment of Mobile Applications to enhance VA’s ability to provide world-class service to our Veterans, their families, and their caregivers. The site has been created in the form of a manual that provides the information necessary to access VA resources and ensure that the application development process is as efficient as possible. Developers and business owners are encouraged to review all of the information on the site. The site has been organized so that sections are easily accessible based upon the goals and requirements of each visitor.
- Introduction to the Mobile Application Certification Process - This section provides an overview of the mobile application certification process. Reading this section provides the groundwork necessary to move efficiently through the development and certification process. All visitors are encouraged to read this section.
- Application Certification: Roles and Responsibilities - This section provides a detailed look at the roles and responsibilities of each of the parties involved in developing and deploying a Mobile Application with VA. Visitors are encouraged to read the entire section, as it provides guidance on the expectations of their role as well as the roles of others involved in the process. A clear understanding of the roles and responsibilities of all parties involved in the process will substantially shorten the time from idea to implementation for a Mobile Application.
- The Certification Process and the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) - This section covers the software development life cycle and the different types of Mobile Applications. Depending on the source of the Application and its impact upon the overall VA system(s), varying levels of certification are required. A clear understanding of the different Application types and the impact an Application type has upon the certification process will enhance the application development cycle and avoid unnecessary costs and delays.
- Procedures for NEW Mobile Application Development, Certification, and Deployment - This section deals with development of new applications. A clear understanding of the expectations and procedures prior to starting the development process will ensure a smooth certification process.
- Procedures for Certification and Deployment of Completely Developed Mobile Applications - Applications that have already been developed but have not been certified must complete the certification process prior to deployment within VA. This section deals specifically with the issues assocaited with this type of an implementation.
- Sustainment Plan Requirements for a Mobile Application - Every mobile application deployed within VA MUST have a sustainment plan. Regardless of its source or complexity, a sustainment plan is required. This section outlines the basic requirements of a suitable sustainment plan.
- Agile Methodology Using the Scrum Framework - All development within VA is to follow the Agile methodology. This section is optional for experienced developers, but is a valuable refresher. For business owners and visitors new to the Agile Methodology, this section provides a critical primer on this powerful development process.
- Acronyms - This section provides a glossary of terms used throughout the site.
- Certifying Body Requirements, Checklists and Questionnaires - This section details the certifying bodies involved in the mobile applications development process, including, roles, responsibilities and paperwork associated with each certifying body. THIS SECTION IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE PURSUING MOBILE APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT FOR VA.
- Mobile Application Registration Profile - The registration profile is required documentation for all Mobile Applications within VA. The mobile application registration profile is created as part of the application Initiation process.
VA Mobile App Initiation Process
The mobile application development process begins with the entry of a request on the Initiation page. There are several entry points to the process based upon the type of Application to be developed and the development process to be followed. Careful review of all the entry points is strongly encouraged in order to maximize resource utilization and minimize delay in the development, certification and deployment of a Mobile Application.